My Experiences with MythTV
As a first time MythTV user I wanted to document my trial and error setting it up, so i figured what better way than to do it on a webpage. I'll start with my list of components below and then move onto what i needed to do to get it all working.
- Case: LIANLI PC-C37B
- Videocard: EVGA GT430 01G-P3-1430-LR
- Memory: PNY XLR8 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600 MD16384K4D3-1600-X9
- Motherboard: INTEL BOXDH67BLB3 LGA1155
- Processor: INTEL CORE I5 2500K 3.3G 6M
- Processor Cooler: SCYTHE BIG Shuriken 2 SCBSK-2100
- Hard Drive OS: CORSAIR Force Series 3 CSSD-F60GB3A-BK 60GB
- Hard Drive Storage: WESTERN DIGITAL Cavier Green WD10EARS 1T
- Power Supply: CORSAIR HX750 Modular Power Supply
- TV Tuner: SILICONDUST HD Homerun Prime HDHR3-CC
- OS: Mythbuntu 12.04.03
First I setup the WD Cavier Green as my Media storage drive, I used this guide from MythTV to get me started and to help me setup the FSTAB. Below is my list of steps.
- Install GParted and 2 dependencies
- Get UUID from OS [ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid]
- Format and Parition the drive [Primary Partition XFS]
- Create the directory where you want to store the media files. I chose [/media/mythtv/files...]
- Create all the required directories and give them the correct ownership (mythtv)and permissions (775)
- Modify the FSTAB file to mount the drive upon startup
- The FTSAB file for Ubuntu is located "/etc/fstab"
- Change the default locations in the mythbackend setup directory to the new ones you just created
Here is my FSTAB entry
# this is the 2 terabyte drive /dev/sdc1 UUID=5b8f7536-bcf9-46f3-9c49-5454cc5dbce6 /media xfs noatime,nodiratime,allocsize=512m 0 0
I had to follow this guide from MythTV to first get the HD Homerun Prime setup.
In order to get Mythbuntu to see the three tuners of the HD Homerun Prime i had to follow this guide
After Everything was Setup I wanted to export the shows I recorded so I could watch them on my ipad/iphone. I used Rileyp's post on an Australian forum here to setup MythTV to export the video files into an MP4 format.